Re: What about reverse source path?

2004-05-31 00:40:23
On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 18:41, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 10:36:29PM -0500, Andy Bakun wrote:

Are the number of email clients really the issue?  We are talking about
MTA changes, not MUA changes.  Does anything in SPF influcence an MUA,
other than possibly requiring authenticated SMTP?

With many users on outlook, there's a chance there are many users on
exchange.  If there are many exchange servers... well, you know where
this is going to.

Agreed, but counting the number of Outlook users as some kind of
measurement of how many machines and software packages and people need
to do upgrades for a _server_ is a red herring.  At the very least,
there are more outlook users than there are exchange servers, by
definition of "client/server architecture".  Seeing as how someone has
already written an Exchange plug-in thingy (this is what I've read on
this list, I'm not an Exchange admin, as is obvious because of my use of
the word "thingy") to do SPF, the effort required to get compliant
Exchange servers is lessened.

It *is* tough to get users to upgrade or change their habits.  Is it a
safe assumption that admins are more clueful and willing to upgrade a
single server than users are to upgrade their software?  This is an
assumption I've been making.

Too bad there's not something like Netcraft for SMTP.

--
Andy Bakun <spf(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>