Re: XML Poll (Please respond only once)

2004-05-31 03:46:07

Mandag den 31. maj 2004 12:29 skrev Mark:
MS has compromized, big time.
and the sendmail people nodded,

Those two organizations deliver:
- - Outdated sendmail system which has been replaced by qmail and
postfix at many places, and continues to be replaced.
- - Microsoft Exchange server, which most people don't connect directly
to the internet anyway.

I guess they realized, that CID isn't realizable without cooperating
with other people, and SPF is the one that makes most sense in the
marketing strategies.

We are at a milestone junction in time, really. MS, and other big
ones, have extended their hand.

Don't buy everything that's offered to you.

They ask only one small favor in
return: that SPF records be written in XML.

I would rephrase that to: Give up the thing that made most SPF people
happy about SPF, let us put a big, thick thumb fingerprint on the
technology and let our marketing benefit from your work. If XML with
SPF fails, it's your fault. If it succeeds, it's because we put our
marketing behind you.

I think we should seize
the moment, and get SPF adopted across the globe, on a scale
heretofore unseen.

I think we all agree on that. I believe, that getting it adopted
across the globe is a contradiction to rewriting it to XML and merge
with CID. That's where we disagree. SPF is already conquering a lot -
it's available to most important mail related tools out there, and
when spamassassin gets it, too, you will see a big rise in the number
of DNS requests about SPF records. When those SPF tools are included
in the major distributions, which is already happening, there's not
much to stop SPF.

Microsoft knows this, they just want a share of what will happen, no
matter if Microsoft gets involved or not.

Some examples of how SPF is getting deployed, is:
- - SPF is in the next spamassassin release. Spamassassin is in Fedora
and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so SPF will make it into those two
releases. Most of those, who use Red Hats products, will eventually
apply SPF filtering.
- - Positive Software is working on SPF in their webhotel software, both
mail servers and DNS editing UI) and other providers of similar
software will follow, adding a great number of SPF publishers and
mail recipients with SPF filtering.

SPF is already becoming the major standard for years to come. We don't
need Microsoft for that. The biggest benefit of involving Microsoft,
as far as I see, is to remove FUD, which can speed up the process.
But in the end, the result is the same.

I am always suspicious of what Microsoft says - it always sounds
incredibly good at first, then it sounds like a good idea, but most
of it is actually only a good idea for Microsoft themselves, they are
just experts at making it sound like a good idea for others.

Lars.

- --

Mobil: 20331241
Evt.: 70201241