Re: Question on how things work

2004-06-04 14:26:48
At this point no, nobody off my network can send mail unless they use the webmail client,
it was a 2 fold reason.

1) security.. it was more secure not to allow it at all..
2) less hassles with other providers. At this point yes nobody blocks 587 your right, however they don't support it either, in the sense that if you have trouble they'll say use they're mail servers (most isp's anyway), thus it was simpler for my users to just use they're own isp's mail servers with the replyto's
as they're domain's accounts.

What says a year from now isp's don't start blocking off network 587's ? Then we're all
back into the same boat.

Yes true I could patch my qmail to do it, but at least if something happens and I'm down
my users can still send mail even though they cannot check it.

Dave

At 04:07 PM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 03:56:25PM -0400, Dave Lewis wrote:
| Well the way I see it from an administration standpoint, in most cases my
| users are behind
| sympatico servers which causes problems with smtp auth because sympatico
| blocks port 25
| unless I move my smtp server, which means that each user has to be setup to
| use a different
| port (until sympatico blocks that one too).

don't you support SMTP AUTH on 587?

see http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hutzler-spamops-00.txt