Re: Question on how things work

2004-06-06 05:20:32
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 04:47:26PM -0600, Weldon Whipple wrote:
| | 3. Add a "per user" SPF record. (Does such a thing really exist?) [Note:
| Any per-user SPF record I can imagine would post on the Internet (via DNS)
| a whitelist of from addresses that could send e-mail--what more could a
| spammer ask for?!!].

The way we're going to do it here is:

 pobox.com TXT "v=spf1 a mx etc ... redirect=%{l}._spf.pobox.com"

then:

 mengwong._spf.pobox.com TXT "v=spf1 a:dumbo.pobox.com -all"
    user1._spf.pobox.com TXT "v=spf1 include:earthlink.net ?all"
    user2._spf.pobox.com TXT "v=spf1 include:verizon.net ?all"
Thanks for the explanation! I have implemented the above on the domain I mentioned in my note. I notice in the above that mengwong... ends in -all, and user1... and user2... end in ?all. Is there a way of saying the following: "Everyone else (not specifically mentioned) should be '-all'" --kind of a wildcard that eliminates all other addresses in pobox.com?

Also (I seem to remember discussion of this a year ago or so): I assume that _spf (with the leading underscore) is a somewhat arbitrary third-level domain? (Specifically, is it OK to omit the leading underscore; also is it OK to use something other than "_spf"?)

Thanks again!

Weldon