Re: Question on how things work

2004-06-05 14:31:22
--John Capo <jc(_at_)irbs(_dot_)com> wrote:

Quoting Meng Weng Wong (mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com):

[snip]
  IF the connection is SMTP auth'ed,
    We assume that the MUA will set "From: user(_at_)vanitydomain(_dot_)com".
    We assume that the ISP will set "Sender: user(_at_)isp(_dot_)net".

Curious as to how to how many here can map an SMTP AUTH login to a
specific sender address?

I am not sure of the answer and I would like to find out.

ISPs should be pointed at RFC2476 which says (paraphrasing a bit) If you can't tell for sure if the current client is allowed to use the return path they claim, you should substitute a known return path associated with that client, or reject the message.

My bet is that most ISPs do not do this... and it's not necessarily SPF's job to remind them, there is already an RFC. If we get to a situation where stuff passes SPF but is still a forgery, at least we know who to complain to :)

My customers auth with a mailbox name that may have many addresses
delivered to that mailbox.  In some cases a catchall is the only
address or a catchall in several domains.  I know catchall's are
evil but customers want them and customers pay the bills.

One possible way for ISPs to comply with RFC2476 is to require users to register their return addresses, at which time they would send a confirmation email which you have to reply to or click the link with the secret. That way you can send mail through their servers using the verified email address (even if it is not on their network).

Catch-all addresses would be interesting... but maybe a confirmation to postmaster(_at_)vanity(_dot_)domain would work in that case.