RE: Forking SPF into The New SPF and SPF1

2004-06-07 09:05:34
Greg Connor [gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org] wrote:
There's nothing really to stop people from using SPF as is, and that is
the message I have heard Meng repeating.  For now, whether we merge or
not, the next few steps are the same.  So, I don't think there's a
burning/urgent need to decide on anything right yet.

True, technically, people can just continue using and deploying SPFv1
without anything being "officially" decided.  But I think there needs to
be some kind of endorsement, even if it's from some splinter group who
performs a formal fork, otherwise many people who haven't yet adopted any
SPF variant will wait and see what happens before doing anything.  And I
think this would be a *long* time, as The New SPF -- unlike SPFv1 -- needs
a lot of work (probably marketing work by Microsoft) before actually being
attractive.