RE: Forking SPF into The New SPF and SPF1

2004-06-07 14:11:54
I have a concern:

If the SPFv2 says "publish XML, or TXT, but not both", then any MTA's that
don't want the XML
overhead will be unable to block from domains who adopted SPFv2.

I agree, if a domain publishes both XML and TXT, the info sources can conflict.
 But setting up
precedence (even if that precedence is XML) resolves that issue.  Stipulating
that a domain
publishing XML SPFv2 cannot publish TXT SPFv1 sounds like someone getting heavy
handed trying to
force SPFv2.

If a domain publishes both XML and TXT, any MTA's that only support TXT still
fully SPF functional
even for domains that have adopted the XML way (assuming anyone besides
Microsoft publishes XML, but
spam forged from hotmail should be sufficient justification even if M$ is the
only adopter).

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085