RE: everybody please calm down :)

2004-06-07 16:44:37
So I would ask people to keep in mind that the New SPF that
was presented on this list was not much more than a
proposal.  It was meant to be a starting point for
discussion, not some finished thing for people to vote yes
or no.

Agreed. For those of you (us) who oppose the "New SPF", I suggest you re-double
your efforts to make the old SPF succeed. What can YOU do?

- the only "DO NOT": Do not help the "New SPF" in any way. Don't publish the
records, write software for it, or mention it to anyone.

- Evangelize SPF. Tell your co-workers. Tell your boss. Bring it up in
meetings. Tell your friends.

- Get the companies, organizations, and ISPs that you work for or are
affiliated with to publish SPF records. It helps protect THEIR identity. Show
them how.

- Request that SPF non-compliant forwarders and websites become compliant. eBay
was brought up earlier, does anyone have a "hit list" that we could (in order
of priority) use to contact these non-compliant sites?

- Write articles or postings about SPF, how it works, and why it is important.
Send these to newspapers, magazines, journals, newsgroups, web forums, blogs,
and websites.

PROGRAMMERS:

- Add SPF and SRS support to an MTA that is not currently supported (or not
supported well). Make certain it follows the old SPF RFC.

- Read over ALL the available SPF and SRS libraries, do testing, find bugs, and
suggest improvements.

WEBMASTERS:

- When sending out email, don't use a domain in the reverse path that you don't
own. Use an email address in your own domain in the "MAIL FROM". You can still
set the "From:" or "Reply-To:" in the headers to whatever you want.

ISPs:

- Create SPF records so that your users can "include:" them when they use your
mail servers to send email for their domains.

FORWARDERS:

- Request to be added to trusted-forwarder.org if your current forwarding
method does not work with SPF.

- Implement DBBF (preferable) or SRS, see
http://www.michaelbrumm.com/spf-forwarding.html so that your forwarding will
work with SPF.

We need focus here guys and gals, so let's get to it. Anyone have more ideas?

Michael R. Brumm