RE: a "never relays" parameter

2004-06-09 15:06:42
From: Stuart D. Gathman
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 4:26 PM

On 9 Jun 2004, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

So, let's say you can add some 2822 fields into macros.  How, then,
would you implement my proposal with exists?

You would check that the submitter is the same as the sender.  However,
I think I see your point: that depends on the final recipient actually
checking the submitter domain.  Which is currently optional.

Actually, if the domain owner wishes to prohibit any intermediate hosts from
handling his message, the recipient could enforce this by using MAIL FROM:
to get the domain for the SPF check.  They would also have to recognize and
reject on any indications of forwarding, such as SUBMITTER != MAIL FROM:,
use of RSR or SRS.  Another complication is if the sender uses SRS from the
source.  The recipient would have to detect this by looking at the two
domains in the SRS address.  I don't know how to express any of those
actions using the exists mechanism, but that behavior would accomplish the
policy that Dan requested.

--

Seth Goodman