SPF "why.html" wording suggestion

2004-06-24 19:16:09
Hello all -- this is my first post to the list.

Tonight I got SPF running with Postfix 2.1.3 -- hooray. Looking at the
logs I noticed a few softfail messages (no hard fails yet, excepting
my testsœ) and checked out the URL in the rejection:

http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=helen%40seznam.cz&ip=24.191.169.78&receiver=e-scribe.com

The top of that page says: "Why did SPF reject my mail?"  My comments
are on that wording.

First, since this was a softfail, the message is somewhat misleading.
Not a big deal since in most cases only the sysadmin will see the URL
for a softfail.

Secondly, though, I wonder if it might be a good idea to steal from
the DNSBL playbook and empshasize that "SPF" (whatever entity that
might refer to) did not block anything -- that the blocking was done
by the receiving host.

Just a thought.  In any case, thanks to all who have been working hard
on SPF. I'm glad to see it taking off!

pb
(eleven domains with published SPF records)