Re: AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?

2004-06-24 19:03:10
Interesting. I would expect a reasonable telco providing DSL or T1 type
services would always set-up or be willing to delegate rDNS.

Was this not a business account initially? Was it a dynamic IP? Both are
very difficult to run a mail server off of.

-Carl

achurch(_at_)achurch(_dot_)org wrote:

I am not aware of a difficulty in setting up a PTR record for an IP
address that runs a mail server. We never said it had to equal the
forward DNS or anything else. We just require rDNS and a valid one at that.

    Then you must have had a nice provider.  When I had an 8-IP block, I
had a hell of a time (and was ultimately unsuccessful in) trying to get my
ISP to either delegate reverse DNS to me or do rDNS for me.  I've since
downgraded to 1 (static) IP, and now I at least have rDNS, though according
to SORBS it "looks like a dynamic dialup address" and the ISP won't let me
change it.

    Admittedly, my server is just a personal one and may not deserve that
much consideration in the first place, but when implementing policies like
this, keep in mind that not everyone with a mail server has the ability to
manage their own rDNS.

 --Andrew Church
   achurch(_at_)achurch(_dot_)org
   http://achurch.org/