Unified SPF example: achurch.org

2004-06-24 19:37:06
On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:58:48AM +0900, Andrew Church wrote:

|      Then you must have had a nice provider.  When I had an 8-IP block, I
| had a hell of a time (and was ultimately unsuccessful in) trying to get my
| ISP to either delegate reverse DNS to me or do rDNS for me.  I've since
| downgraded to 1 (static) IP, and now I at least have rDNS, though according
| to SORBS it "looks like a dynamic dialup address" and the ISP won't let me
| change it.

http://spf.pobox.com/slides/unified%20spf/0429.html

  Linux users on a broadband connection can solve the
  "MTAMark=no" problem by setting an SPF record on their HELO
  domain name or MAIL FROM return-path.  If, at the policy
  level, the given name is approved, that decision trumps the
  authentication-level failure set by the ISP.  Of course, the
  Linux user's domain will need to have some kind of rating in
  a reputation or accreditation system, or they'll be
  indistinguishable from a spammer trying to pull a trick.

In this case, because achurch.org's SPF pass should override
the fact that the PTR for 219.160.161.77 looks like
p8077-ipadfx21hodogaya.kanagawa.ocn.ne.jp.  If a reputation
system somewhere likes achurch.org, then the fact that it
looks like a dialup IP becomes less important than the fact
that a good guy is accountable for the message.