Re: Re: AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?

2004-06-25 23:58:25
--On Freitag, Juni 25, 2004 16:11:38 +0200 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:38:45AM -0400,
 Chuck Mead <csm(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 33 lines which said:

This does not seem to be a "major problem" to me. The only time it
becomes a problem is when people don't understand how it works and
that's an educational challenge.

BS. In many countries (most of Africa, for instance), even the access
provider does not have in-addr.arpa delegation and therefore cannot
delegate it to its customers.

You can get a reverse delegation for /24. A provider without at least a /24 seems to me a bit like a bad joke, especially if that "provider" does not know how to get the reverse delegation.

Requesting PTR means banning these customers, which can do nothing.

They can get themselves a competent provider. Sometimes the provider will even start doing things the right way when faced with the alternative of losing customers.

Ralf Döblitz