Re: Inactive domains

2004-06-28 10:08:35
Lou Katz wrote:
I control a number of inactive domains. They have proper DNS records, but
no A records nor MX records. Thus, they cannot receive mail, and many
MTAs might refuse to accept mail claiming to be from such domains, as
there are no valid return paths. I would like to publish the appropriate
spf records to indicate that they do not send mail.

Is it simply IN TXT "spfv1 -all"?

Nearly; try this:

TXT "v=spf1 -all"

One possible addition to this would be an explanation page if you wish to put one up on a web server. You could use something like this:

inactive1.dom.                  TXT     "v=spf1 redirect=nomail.active.dom"
inactive2.dom.                  TXT     "v=spf1 redirect=nomail.active.dom"
inactive999.dom.                TXT     "v=spf1 redirect=nomail.active.dom"

(lots of domains can use the same record)

nomail.active.dom.              TXT     "v=spf1 exp=spf-exp.nomail.active.dom
-all"
spf-exp.nomail.active.dom. TXT "Mail from %{s} at %{i} rejected: see http://www.active.dom/spf-reject-nomail.html";

Where http://www.active.dom/spf-reject-nomail.html is a page on your website explaining that no mail is sent from those domains.

Cheers, Paul.