Re: Greeting Card sites catching on

2004-07-11 01:57:22
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:44:41AM +0300, Andrew G. Tereschenko wrote:

BTW, Current DNS software (a few vendors I've checked, or even specs) does
not support this
www       IN  A   1.2.3.4
*       IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx -all"

TXT query for "www" will return not-found. While TXT query for "spammer"
will return valid "no-go from forged address" answer.
But this make no sence as "spammer" has no valid A/MX/CNAME records anyway
and can be checked without using SPF.
One more argument on using subdomains for SPF records and modifing DNS
servers sofware to support "spfv1.* IN TXT" wildcards.

I believe this is part of the rfc. Once you create a leaf such as www IN
A something, wildcard records will not match anymore. One has to create
TXT for each leaf node, but usually this can be a simple redirect to one
TXT record or something like that.

You are right that , if egreetings wishes to prevent spammers from
misusing their www.egreetings.com domain, they'll have to set up a TXT
record for www....

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html