Re: Broken SPF implementations among this list's subscribers ?

2004-07-22 07:00:25
Le mercredi 21 Juillet 2004 22:16, wayne a écrit :

I think you may be overstating things when you say what should or
should not happen with SPF lookups.  While you are correct that
SPF-classic implemenations should not be doing the stuff you listed,
there isn't anything stopping people from using the SPF records for
other purposes.

Sure.

Now, I'm not actually doing these checks right now, but someone
certainly could be doing something similar, or they could be doing
stuff that is radically different.  They could be developing a new
implementation and it has bugs that are being fixed.  Who knows?

Sure. But it's funny to see that each and everytime I post to this list at
leat 4 different machines query my domain for SPF records, which wouldn't be
expected in a "classic SPF implementation". And one even fetches my "failure"
explanation.

Of course everybody is free to perform any checks he may want, and query DNS
data which is, in essence, made publicly available, but this persistent
situation leads me to think that it is probably not somebody "experimenting",
but possibly some broken implementation on several machines.

It is a mantra in the anti-spam community that having your email
accepted by the receiver is a privilege, not a right.  "My server, my
rules."   If someone wants to reject email because some email address
in the body of a message fails an SPF check, that's the receiver's
problem, not yours.

I fully agree with this point.

So, I guess this stuff is, indeed, interesting, I wouldn't be too
concerned about it.

I'm not too concerned ;-) but I was just finding this to be interesting.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel(_at_)bouissou(_dot_)net> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E