Re: Broken SPF implementations among this list's subscribers ?

2004-07-22 10:24:10
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 04:00:25PM +0200, Michel Bouissou wrote:
Sure. But it's funny to see that each and everytime I post to this list at
leat 4 different machines query my domain for SPF records, which wouldn't be
expected in a "classic SPF implementation". And one even fetches my "failure"
explanation.

Well, one of those is likely from me.  When I was assembling my SPF
testing setup, I had a hard time finding a tool that did what I wanted.
Mainly, take a message on stdin, add SPF headers to it, and print on
stdout.  For some reason, the primary C library wouldn't compile, and I
used an alternative implementation wrapped with a shell script I
concocted.

Since I don't understand some of the nuances of SPF, I ended up taking a
shotgun approach to testing several parts of the email that could
indicate "sender".  I'm not using SPF to reject emails, I'm using it to
get a feel for how many other domains have it.

-Ben