Re: SPF and Responsibility

2004-07-22 08:40:35
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Michel Bouissou wrote:

My receiving MTA rejects all email that comes from such ill-configured
servers, but I have an ever-growing "whitelist" of "accept mail from this
broken server or sender", because there are mails from such servers that I,
or any other user from my domain _need_ to get.

And even though I spent hours writing to postmasters of these domains, they
simply don't give a shit and won't go and fix it -- postmaster's mail for
them must be forwarded to /dev/null, when it doesn't bounce with "Unknown
recipient". Yes, rfc-ignorant.org is here for that.

I have a local SPF tree in DNS that my client's MTSa delegate to when
there is no SPF record.  This allows me to "whitelist" broken servers
for my clients in a much more flexible way that simply "accept all mail
from this domain".  SPF would be worthwhile even if this was the only
place it was used.