Re: SPF and Responsibility

2004-07-22 08:52:19
Le jeudi 22 Juillet 2004 17:40, Stuart D. Gathman a écrit :

I have a local SPF tree in DNS that my client's MTSa delegate to when
there is no SPF record.  This allows me to "whitelist" broken servers
for my clients in a much more flexible way that simply "accept all mail
from this domain".

How do you actually do that ? A standard SPF implementation wouldn't do that
as far as I know, to fallback to another domain when the sending domain has
no SPF record.

SPF would be worthwhile even if this was the only place it was used.

This may be a smart use of the SPF protocol, but this isn't actually SPF
anymore.

In SPF, it is the sender's domain that states which servers it uses. The SPF
record is under _their_ control and not under the control of the recipient
MTA (although the recipient MTA is free to make any decision it wishes with
the information it gets from SPF, based on local policy).

But modifying the implementation in such a way that a "ghost" SPF record is
gotten from recipient's servers when the sending domain's server doesn't have
any, is IMHO somehing else that we cannot really call SPF anymore, even
though the protocol used is basically the same.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel(_at_)bouissou(_dot_)net> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E