Re: Is SPF serving the best interests of the end-user?

2004-07-22 13:59:23
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 spf(_at_)nevster(_dot_)net wrote:

However, an unlisted number standing alone in a sea of listed numbers
is obvious by its absence.  Those can be casually picked on for
high-pressure sales tactics, for wouldn't someone who was trying to
limit inbound calls feel more strongly about calls received, and be
more likely to be caught off-guard?

Precisely.  They have pressured my wife into doing ill advised things.
Every one in the house from the 6 yo on up is now trained to immediately
and loudly say "Please remove us from your call list" and hang up without
waiting for the tele-spammer to pause or give an acknowledgement.

o Too many of my friends and family use Windows, and so giving them my
email guarantees that it will end up in the spammer lists.  Some of my
family members cope by changing their email every month.  I don't have to
do that, because I require authentication in any of various forms,
including SPF.

You're managing your communication in a way that makes sense to you.
Your family is doing the same.

Can family can reliably contact you even though they change addresses
once a month?

Yes - my address stays constant.

Can you contact them reliably?

No.  I have to call them up and ask what their new address is.

Can you or have you figured out a way that does not exclude each others
preference for email management that you're all comfortable with, to
keep in touch?

No, because their mental model of an email account is that it "wears out".