Envelope Sender X From Header. How are you treating this?

2004-07-27 10:42:12
Hi All,

I have read already some threads on this list saying that SPF doesn't guarantee the From header of the emails. Ok, I understand that and agree with the point that SPF is designed to protect the Envelope Sender (aka Return-Path). The problem is that email forgery persists on this means, at least for the common user, that receives a forged mail with an Authentic Sender Envelope (with or without SPF) and sees on his Mail Client a FROM: fakeable(_at_)faked(_dot_)com(_dot_) For people who know how to check mail headers it's easy to see the forging but for 99% of the internet this is not the case. Mail forgery will still continue and SCAM's will continue to spread out.

I can see that mostly the emails that come with different From and the Return-Path are from Lists (like Yahoo Groups) and Spammers trying to pass out Scam's.

My question is, how are you people treating this case on your MTA's? As I can see it the only solution is, IMHO, on cases where the From is differente from the Return-Path to change the From Header at the MTA to another name so the MUA's are forced to use the Return-Path as the sender. But that is against a lot of RFC's.

I might be not seeing something on the process so if someone can help/enlighten me would be great. *8)

Best Regards to all,

Rodrigo Afonso
rafonso(_at_)rits(_dot_)org(_dot_)br
IT Manager
RITS - Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor
http://www.rits.org.br
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272/6º Andar
Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22270-060
Tel: (21) 2527-5494 / Fax: (21) 2527-5460