Re: Envelope Sender X From Header. How are you treating this?

2004-07-30 08:26:52
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Rodrigo F Afonso wrote:

But what if, only when the Sender-Envelope email address is different
from the From: header email address, we change the From: header to the
Sender-Envelope, forcing the mail clients to see who really sent the
message,  and put the "user inserted" From: Header on other X-whatever
header so at least the common user, that doesn't understand nothing
about SPF and so on, sees that a message that is sent from their Bank
for example, didn't come directly from them, but from another sender?
Wouldn't that be more reasonable? I mean, if I get an email sent on my
behalf by someone that isn't me I wan't the person receiving it at least
seeing who sent it no just putting my email up there at the From on my MUA.

What do you think on that?

That sounds like a reasonable approach.  It does not correspond to any
standard, but it will only affect users behind your MTA.  I use pine
for my MUA, so I have no problem seeing all headers by toggling 'h' :-)
Will your users MUA show them the X-SentBy (or whatever) header even
though it won't show them the Sender or Return-Path header?