Re: Envelope Sender X From Header. How are you treating this?

2004-07-30 07:38:50
Hi there Stuart,

Thanks for your explanation. *8)

The big problem, as I see it, is that we can't pass the From: header, sent in the DATA part of the message, through SPF since we can't guarantee to extract the original IP sender on all messages, at least for today. This generates a big issue since most of the mail clients use the From: header sent in the DATA header so we still have the problem.

But what if, only when the Sender-Envelope email address is different from the From: header email address, we change the From: header to the Sender-Envelope, forcing the mail clients to see who really sent the message, and put the "user inserted" From: Header on other X-whatever header so at least the common user, that doesn't understand nothing about SPF and so on, sees that a message that is sent from their Bank for example, didn't come directly from them, but from another sender? Wouldn't that be more reasonable? I mean, if I get an email sent on my behalf by someone that isn't me I wan't the person receiving it at least seeing who sent it no just putting my email up there at the From on my MUA.

What do you think on that?

Best regards and thanks again,

Rodrigo Afonso
rafonso(_at_)rits(_dot_)org(_dot_)br
Gerente TI
RITS - Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor
http://www.rits.org.br
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272/6º Andar
Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22270-060
Tel: (21) 2527-5494 / Fax: (21) 2527-5460