Re: how to avoid receiving email w. sender forged to be a host in my domain

2004-08-11 09:52:10
How do I avoid receiving email claiming to be from
anyname(_at_)noemail(_dot_)mydomain(_dot_)com ?  I could add an spf record for
noemail.mydomain.com, but what about every other host in mydomain.com
that doesn't receive email?

Do I have to add a TXT spf record for every host that is not a legitimate
sender of email from my domain?  There are hundreds of hosts in my
domain's zonefile, many of which are dynamically added (via dhcp).
I'd like to avoid having to add a TXT spf record for each host.
Is there a way to make the spf record "v=spf1 -all" be the default unless
otherwise specified?

Hello all. I am new to this list and have been watching for a few days but now an issue has creeped up.

I was doing some testing and ran into the same issue as the above quote. What is to stop someone from just making up a sub-domain out of thin air and sending email under my domain that way? Example:

Let's say my domain is "mydomain.org"

Can't someone just use spammer_(_at_)_fakesub(_dot_)mydomain(_dot_)org as a
mailfrom address?

I know there was some dissussion about how subdomains without a SPF record would be handled but I am still clueless.

Against my better judgement, I added a:

* TXT "v=spf1 -all"

record, but it had unforseen side effects.

Take care,
Tom