Re: how to avoid receiving email w. sender forged to be a host in my domain

2004-08-12 11:22:37
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 01:53:16PM -0400, Tom wrote:
"Note: (July 22nd 2004) apparently there's a bug in BIND: if the last
record in a zone file is a TXT record, things break. Solution: don't make
it the last line."

Well, someone should delete this from the site, all my zonefiles have a TXT
record as the last record (ok, there is an empty line after that, so
technically it is not the last line.....)

The problem that I am experiencing currently is with having a wildcard TXT
record:

Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone 2urx.com/IN: loaded serial
2004081201
Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone 2yourx.com/IN: loaded serial
2004081201
Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: dns_master_load: corwine.com.zone:24:
*.corwine.com: CNAME and other data
Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone corwine.com/IN: loading master
file corwine.com.zone: CNAME and other data
Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone longshipsandredherrings.com/IN:
loaded serial 2004081202
Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone ncfintergroup.com/IN: loaded
serial 2004081202

In the above example, the corwine.com zone file has a wildcard TXT entry,
the other domain's zone files have the wildcard TXT entry commented out.
Notice how corwine.com does not load the serial number, and in fact the
whole SOA record seems to be ignored. BIND also seems to believe it is not
athoritive for corwine.com. Commenting out the wildcard TXT record fixes
the problem.

There may be a logic explaination as to why this is happening, I just don't
know it. Being that this is a spf list, I would be happy to discuss this
with anyone if you email me directly instead of clogging the spf list with
BIND talk anymore than I already have.
_____________

Look at the log very very very carefully..

Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: dns_master_load:corwine.com.zone:24:
*.corwine.com: CNAME and other data

You can't mix CNAME with any other record type.. So apparenlty you have
a CNAME on * already. In that case, spf will check the record of the
cname's destination..

koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.