Re: how to avoid receiving email w. sender forged to be a host in my domain

2004-08-12 10:53:16
I know BIND has a bug that causes problems if the last record is a TXT record

what bug is that? is it documented on the isc.org site?

I didn't see any documentation of it on the isc.org site, but then again I didn't look real hard. It is mentioned on the spf.pobox.com site on the page that the wizard is on:

"Note: (July 22nd 2004) apparently there's a bug in BIND: if the last record in a zone file is a TXT record, things break. Solution: don't make it the last line."

I must admit I am just trusting what spf.pobox.com says about it.

The problem that I am experiencing currently is with having a wildcard TXT record:

Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone 2urx.com/IN: loaded serial 2004081201 Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone 2yourx.com/IN: loaded serial 2004081201 Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: dns_master_load: corwine.com.zone:24: *.corwine.com: CNAME and other data Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone corwine.com/IN: loading master file corwine.com.zone: CNAME and other data Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone longshipsandredherrings.com/IN: loaded serial 2004081202 Aug 12 17:49:55 vhost4 named[5522]: zone ncfintergroup.com/IN: loaded serial 2004081202

In the above example, the corwine.com zone file has a wildcard TXT entry, the other domain's zone files have the wildcard TXT entry commented out. Notice how corwine.com does not load the serial number, and in fact the whole SOA record seems to be ignored. BIND also seems to believe it is not athoritive for corwine.com. Commenting out the wildcard TXT record fixes the problem.

There may be a logic explaination as to why this is happening, I just don't know it. Being that this is a spf list, I would be happy to discuss this with anyone if you email me directly instead of clogging the spf list with BIND talk anymore than I already have.

Take care,
Tom