Re: how to avoid receiving email w. sender forged to be a host in my domain

2004-08-11 10:33:26
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Tom wrote:

Let's say my domain is "mydomain.org"

Can't someone just use spammer_(_at_)_fakesub(_dot_)mydomain(_dot_)org as a
mailfrom address?

I know there was some dissussion about how subdomains without a SPF record
would be handled but I am still clueless.

Against my better judgement, I added a:

* TXT "v=spf1 -all"

record, but it had unforseen side effects.

This is really a 'bind' question, not an SPF question.  One answer would be to
use a DNS server whose configuration you understand.  However, it is still an
excellent question.  I wish the SPF website had some examples of proper use
of '*' in bind configurations.