Re: Authentication, Accreditation, and Reputation

2004-08-14 04:41:27
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 02:58:41PM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
sending email to the sender, and leave the receiver basically unfettered.
We want the sender to take the time to build up a good reputation (like the
way it works in the real world.) We want them to prove who they are, rather
than having us try and figure that out on our own. When we do this, we
begin to increase the cost of spamming, and thus reduce the amount of spam.

Does this mean, "If you want to send email, you have to pay $300 to
Verisign"? No, that's absurd. What it means though is that if you want to
send email *and expect that email to be received* you have to be
responsible, publish SPF records, don't send spam, and fix your computers
when they get a virus. If that is unreasonable, then call me a troll.

Well, not entirely true. The focus is on increasing the cost for
spammers, without mentioning it increases the cost for normal email
senders too.

If you're not a multi-million-dollar company sending out 10000 mails
a day, building a good reputation is going to take forever. If mail that
does not come from one of these multi-million-dollar companies with a
good reputation is going to be delayed, this is unfair competition. I
think there are laws against that.

Note also that 'reputation' is in the eye of the beholder. We both might
have completely different notions of what a good reputation constitures.
For you apparently keeping computers virus free is enough (i'm
simplifying here to make the point). For me it is also important they
don't attach their commercial banners at the end of each mail sent by a
customer that say 'enjoy hotmail email for this that and some more b*llsh*t'..

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.