Re: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-14 04:58:26
On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:39:39PM +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:26:09PM +0200, Koen Martens wrote:
Only, the knife cuts at two sides here: not only the cost for spammers
is increased. The cost is also increased for normal, trustworthy small
companies. I resent the idea that you only are trustworthy if you can
cough up the dough. I know this makes perfect sense in a capitalistic
mindset, but i think it's despicable.

So, you are using free Internet access for your company ?  Or do you
pay $bigbucks for your "right" to be part of the Internet?

Do not forget that the "normal, trustworthy small companies" need to
"cough up the dough" once in every <foo> years whereas spammers will
have to pay every <bar> days.

I pay for my internet connection, yes. For that I get a team of good
technicians that maintain and buy the hardware i use to get internet
connectivity. What do I get if I pay to buy the right to send email?
Some anonymous John Doe will put a stamp on some form, 2 minutes work
and presto $300 earned.  What's
next, are we going to put up a price to setting up a website, just so
that we know no fake websites will be set up?

Buying rights is ridiculous, if you ask me. Call me old fashioned, but I
still believe in the internet as 'a free flow of information', not as an
extension of the corporate domain, where corporations set the rules and
everyone is to obey (=pay) or go away..

Why not come up with some scene where you pay, and after a year when
you've proven you are trustworthy, get most of that money back?? I'll
tell you why, because then nobody can fill their pockets anymore.

No, this is not a plea for paying $lots_of_money to $accreditor.  I'm
just pointing out that IMHO you are not only missing the point but are
also part of that capitalistic world that you despise.

Being part of it is something else than embracing it whole-heartedly. If
you knew my company, you wouldn't probably even made this comment. I'll
refrain from getting personal now, although i think this is a bit below
the belt.

Koen

just my 2c
cheers,
Alex

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.