Re: "RE: Which address of this list should auto-responses go?"

2004-08-21 13:46:05
AccuSpam wrote:

Again I will repeat (4th time in this mailing list) that AccuSpam is *NOT* a
challenge-response anti-spam system.

How is it not? From what I've gathered, you send a message to a subscriber, and if they haven't white-listed you you get an auto-response telling you to verify that you're not a spammer. This is pretty much the same as every other challenge-response scheme I've seen. (One person referred to them as PTYLM ("prove that you love me") schemes; I find that description amusing.)

The users and owners of anti-spam systems that detect non-existent address by
sending a response could also say to you that mailing list are inherently
broken, if they do not allow generalized SMTP functionality.
Mailing lists have been around a long time, and they aren't going anywhere. Besides, I really resent sending mail to someone (or, worse, a mailing list) and getting a "this account protected by Foobar Spamguard, to buy your own copy go here" message back. To me, these systems are just another form of spam.