Re: Microsoft released more info Aug 30, 2004

2004-09-02 00:15:37
<rant>

In the classic style of humanity - every new generation has to learn
everything the hard way.  Ever since I came on these lists I've been saying
that MS has a corporate need and their philosophy is based on aquisition, so
*anything*   they touch will become theirs.

Meng didn't make a deal with the devil, he made a totally naive deal with
the biggest predator on earth.  I can forgive him that as he was probably
badly advised within IETF and elsewhere.  The upshot is the same however.
_*ALL*_ versions of SPF will now be taken in by MS.  Read Anne Mitchells
post again - lawyers include everything they can think of, and then add a
few catch-all sentences in case they missed something. Make _NO_ mistake MS
will be doing exactly that and will take everything they can get because
they know it'll take a fortune to defend it or overturn the decision.

This is *not* an anti-MS rant.  I understand their corporate philosophy only
too well.  In business I have done exactly the same thing (in a different
sphere of operations). I *am* amazed that MS have become so powerful when
alternatives are available, but that's another topic I'd happily chew over
with whoever wants.

To go back to my opener -

The internet community has a half-life of about a year, with some notable
exceptions.  Thus every year we are doomed by pushy newbies getting to the
top of IETF, or whatever decision-making group you care to name.  They
examine standards made by technical wizards and creative thinkers who have
zero commercial sense and the result is . . .   well, now you know the
result!

My 35 years in the seriously hard and fast world of international business
has taught me these things. I try to pass on my knowledge, but I am only one
voice in a babble of excited children. No offense intended to anyone in
particular - I generalise for the sake of making the point forcibly.

</rant>

phew - that's better :-)

Slainte,

JohnP.