Re: Google's gmail.com checks spf records!

2004-09-09 07:51:06

Greg Wooledge said:
Roger Moser (Roger(_dot_)Moser(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net) wrote:

Take for example this very mail that you are just reading.
Where should the reply go when you click "Reply", to me or to the list?

   "Some administrators claim that Reply-To munging makes it easier
   for users to respond to the entire list, and helps encourage list
   traffic. These benefits are fallacious. Moreover, Reply-To can have
   harmful -- even dangerous -- effects. If you think Reply-To munging
   is a good idea, I hope I can change your mind."

(If I didn't post it, someone else would....)

Argh... I hate that piece. Everybody has used it for years as though it's
a canonical reference or something. IT'S NOT! It's the author's own
opinion based on some bizarre pet pieve of his... it is not something that
is like a *rule* which we must abide or even should for that matter.

For my part I use munging on my mailing lists because I intend to archive
the traffic for future reference for the members of my lists. If they
don't like it or want to send the message elsewhere they certainly have
that right but I will continue to happilly munge the crap out of my own
mailing lists.

--
csm(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com
Chief Tech and Bottle Washer