Re: SPF-compliant phishing?

2004-09-15 12:30:47
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 11:56 -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
When you publish SPF records, you are declaring which servers are allowed to
represent your domain, and you are claiming responsibility for what those
servers send. I think you'll find that phishers that publish SPF are
extremely stupid. The police already have ways to track them down via IP
address. Giving the police a trail through DNS and registrars is like
purposely cutting yourself and leaving a blood sample at the scene of the
crime, or writing down your home address on the wall.

Your analogy seems a little flawed here. Yes, the police already have
ways to track them down via IP address anyway. Some countries even
passed new laws to ensure that ISPs _must_ keep track of the logs which
will give that information. Let's consider that the blood at the scene
-- it's _already_ there. So phishers that publish SPF are writing their
address on the wall _too_ -- it doesn't actually help the police much
since the address they write there is trivial to fake and the blood was
enough in the first place.