RE: SPF-compliant phishing?

2004-09-16 13:39:22
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Jonathan Gardner
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 3:46 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] SPF-compliant phishing?

One day, you will be able to say that every piece of mail you get
in the SPF
NEUTRAL pile is crap. Well, enough of it that you don't want to read it
anymore, at least. So you can just start refusing to accept that kind of
mail. It's your choice as a receiver whether or not to receive email.

The other category of mail that is stuck in the NEUTRAL pile is mail sent
through shared MTAs that allow use of an arbitrary return-path.  That's
about 99% of what I send.

Until you (meaning all of us) attack the cross customer forgery problem on
shared MTAs, those of us who want to outsource SMTP services are out of luck
getting to pass.

I'm either stuck at NEUTRAL or I set up my own MTA.  It isn't going to do
any of us any good if I set up my own MTA.  I don't know how and don't have
time to learn.  The last thing we need is more poorly run MTAs.

Scott Kitterman