Re: Re: draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03

2004-09-24 14:51:18
On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:37:13PM -0600, Commerco WebMaster wrote:
Respectfully, because of the remarkably flexible variants available in
today's SPF TXT based DNS records, would it not make more sense to continue
the extensibility of SPF via something more like:

foo  IN  SPF  "ip4:1.2.3.4"

In this way, the flexible structure introduced in the current SPF TXT
implementation could be continued without taking on all other forms of the
TXT records that may also exist in a DNS zone file.  By proceeding in this
way, the implementation would also allow for a simple transition from
today's DNS TXT based SPF records to any future RR SPF record.

If we're calling the RR 'SPF' we might even want to keep the version in there,
giving "v=spf1 ip4:1.2.3.4 -all", basically: the same as we have now but then
in SPF RR instead of TXT.. Does this make any sense?

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.