Re: Resent-*

2004-09-24 23:57:45
Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

Bouncing MUAs, shudder.  Is that a pre-MIME MUA, or do
you know why it doesn't use message/rfc822 ?  I'm just
curious, because I've never seen a Resent-* message.

I cannot speak for Pine, but gnus also allows resending which will
insert Resent-* headers. It also (and more commonly) allows the
forwarding as a message/rfc822 MIME attachment. The difference is that
when forwarding you are creating a new message, which is shown as
coming from you, and can add your own text, or other MIME parts. When
resending, the message is sent unaltered (apart from the addition of
Resent-* headers) and the (forwarded to) recipient sees the message as
coming from the original sender.

From the point of view of the recipient of the forwarded/resent
message, any reply to the forwarded message will go to the forwarder
but a reply to the resent message goes to the original sender.

Thinking of it in terms of 'snail' mail. Using forwarding as a
message/rfc822 attachment is like receving a letter, opening it,
writing a covering note (something like, "I think you might be
interested in this", or "this was sent to me by mistake") and
enclosing the contents of the original letter and the covering note in
a new envelope. Using the 'Resend' is like crossing out the address on
the envelope, writing the correction and putting it back in the mail
without opening the envelope. (I know that this analogy is not quite
right as the original recipient of the email can see inside the
"envelope" before redirecting it)