Re: moving on from MARID

2004-09-26 00:24:42
wayne wrote:

In <20040925145844(_dot_)GL21013(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong
<mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:34:52PM -0700, Greg Connor wrote:

Actually I was going to say just the opposite.  Submitter was
originally Meng's idea (if I remember right) and was described as
"the entity responsible for the most recent injection of this
message into the mail stream".

To set the record straight, SUBMITTER was actually MS's
idea.  They unveiled it to me in May at the D.C. MAAWG
meeting where we agreed on the Sender ID compromise.

No, actually, it RFROM/FRED/SUBMITTER was *not* MS's idea, or at least
not according to a couple of posts on MARID. Someone suggested it to
them, I forget who, but you can find the post on the MARID archive.
IIRC, it was posted around 3-4 weeks ago.

RFROM/FRED/SUBMITTER isn't even a very new or unique idea, we had
discussed trying to leverage similar ESMTP extensions such as ENVID in
the past.

I really like the ENVID myself. We could use ENVID *today*, for the purpose of RFROM/SUBMITTER, without any implementation changes. You would just need to add one extra check, in the SPF client, for the existence of a ENVID/SUBMITTER entity; and, if it exists, make your SPF check against that entity, instead of MAIL FROM.

- Mark

       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,