RE: The pretty name

2004-10-01 00:15:06
In germany email is treated the same why as postal mail.
The law does not make any differences. In fact even
companies which do SPAM filtering on their employees
emails have first to get it in writing from their employees
to allow it. I contries like Germany Data Protection
is a very important issue. If you tamper with other
peoples/employees emails you are always at risk that
somebody sues you for breaking the law...
Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Ryan
Malayter
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 1:24 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] The pretty name

[Hector Santos]
Push comes to shove, this is mail tampering and its against
the law.

We're talking about *email*, not postal mail. I don't think the U.S.
laws regarding tampering with postal mail apply to email; I'm
not sure about other countries. Maybe wiretapping laws apply
in some way.

Anyway, in the US at least, email received by an organization
on behalf of an employee is the property of the organization,
not the individual. And to cover another base, most service
providers have terms of service which give them the right to
inspect, modify, block, or do whatever else they want to to
your traffic to keep things running smoothly. An example can
be found here:
  http://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/dial/
...which seems to let Earthlink do whatever it wants to your
traffic, and change the terms of the agreement at any time.

But IANAL, and I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Are you a lawyer?

Don't screw around with user mail.  Please consider the
fact I am not
admin. We supply admins with the mail transport and hosting
software.
Admins may have a different view on all this and in many respects,

I am an admin, for a few organizations. And I have had CEOs
tell me to stop the spam, phishing, and viruses. Now. Without
changing anyone's email address. The company owns all of the
servers and mail content on the network, so I do it as best I can.

I don't mind saying, it has caused a bigger mess over the years,
especially in the name of spam.

I assume you're talking about false-positive bounces caused
by IP blacklisting, challenge-response systems, etc. These
all suck, especially from an ISP's perspective, but something
had to be done to restore the utility of email for
organizations. End-user content filters may get 95+% of the
junk, but that 0-5% is still an overwhelming amount of crap.

ISPs, as a group, caused a big chunk of the problem we admins
have to deal with, by providing hosting and bandwidth to
spammers. For a tidy profit.

Of course, lazy admins contributed to the huge problem too,
by allowing all those virus-infected machines to spew spam
and virus-laden email. But consumers PCs are mostly to blame for that.

So in the end, we all suck eggs together.

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription, please go to

This mail was checked for malicious code and viruses
checking, exploit detection, threats analysis and anti-virus for
Exchange & SMTP servers. Viruses, Trojans, dangerous
attachments and offensive content are removed automatically.
Key features include: multiple virus engines; email content and
attachment checking; an exploit shield; an HTML threats engine;
a Trojan & Executable Scanner; and more.

In addition to GFI MailSecurity, GFI also produces the
GFI MailEssentials anti-spam software, the GFI FAXmaker
fax server & GFI LANguard network security product ranges.
For more information on our products, please visit
http://www.gfi.com. This disclaimer was sent by
GFI MailEssentials for Exchange/SMTP.