Re: The pretty name

2004-10-01 01:44:46
Ryan Malayter wrote:

[Mark]

Mixing layers is almost always a very bad idea; this being no
exception.

How will we ever validate 2822.from without checking it at SMTP time,
knowing what IP it came from?

I never said we should not check 2822 From: at SMTP level; we should. I said mixing layers is a bad idea -- in this case, substituting the 2822 From: for the envelope-from. Because the 2822 From: has a different function than the envelope-from.

Or do you propose relying on a crypto solution like DomainKeys for
2822 authentication (which wouldn't need IP information)?

Since all headers are part of the DATA phase, unless you cryptographically sign that data, the content remains unreliable. The best you can say about the headers, is that parts of them have to appear in a certain format; that is all.

You could also do SPF checks on the 2822 From: entity. But I only say this to underline my point about mixing layers: it would break horribly for mailing lists, as SPF checks are, correctly, done against the envelope-from of the mailing list sender (which check out), whereas such a check against the 2822 From: would fail, of course. Not a good idea, therefore.

Truth is, nobody has really come up with a satisfactory solution for making the DATA reliable. Digitial signatures often have the disadvantage of being too rigid (e.g. the slightest variation tends to break things), and I have yet to see a good in-between solution.

Anyway, with the current situation, I can easily forge messages to the
list that appear to be from you, because 2822.from is unauthenticated.

That does not make your "solution" better. What you are effectively saying, is to do away with 2822 From: altogether (in the sense that it would just be the same as the envelope-from). I, for one, will not sign off on that.

- Mark

       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,