Re: Re: What to include...

2004-10-05 21:24:00

On Oct 5, 2004, at 11:34 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
        IP: some non-winserver.com IP
        HELO winserver.com
        MAIL FROM:  user(_at_)some-non-spf-domain(_dot_)com

While letting someone do the above doesn't make much sense, I have received false positives on denying SMTP transactions like that (from misconfigured mailers).

Still, the denial is trivial in any modern mailer by simply configuring it to act that way. It doesn't require any extra code or protocols. Why don't you just publish a document that says "everybody should do this" (which I believe you've effectively done in posting this much commentary) and leave it at that.

Saying that it belongs _in_ SPF is kinda arbitrary. SPF doesn't handle the things that BATV or SES does (which are very valuable) or the things that DomainKeys! does, should those go into SPF? I am all for having clear, concise tools in the arsenal, not one kitchen sink. I think it is great that these concepts have been formalized in concise problem domains.

But it can't be ignored. Meng can't go on the promotion tour to talk about SPF implementation and when people begin to added it and still see 12% of the above like messages getting in, what do you think is going to happen?

Sure he can. He's going to explain that a lot of things don't get caught. SPF isn't about blocking mail from bad people. It's about determining if the messages return-path is fraudulent. The hope is that armed with that information, you can execute your other decisions with more certainty.

So whether is it added or not inherently into the SPF1 spec, it is 100%
prudent to make it a provision in the documentation so that implementors are
aware of this.

A agree, almost. If this needs to be in "the" documentation, then so does the concept of BATV or SES and DomainKeys! But, since there isn't "the" documentation and everyone is capable of writing and publishing their own, each should publish the purpose, promise and specification for their concept for protection formally.

Meng's done so, Mark's done so, Dave's done so... I commend you on your fight on "Best Common Practices for Interpreting EHLO/HELO SMTP Commands" and hope that you will formalize them once and for all and have them published.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth