Re: What to include...

2004-10-04 16:26:13
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:16:32PM +0000, Mark wrote:

If "HELO mail.winserver.com" is issued, then the SPF lookup will be
on "mail.winserver.com". But only in case of a null envelope-from.

Since the lookup against HELO has to pass when the
envelope-from is null, it is sensible that the lookup should
also pass when the envelope-from is not null, and therefore
the draft specification at
http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200406.txt
says that receivers MAY always check the HELO whether or not
the envelope-from is null, and may always reject based on a
FAIL result.

Yes, the operative word being MAY. :) I like to keep it that way.

That is not to say I would not like to see a better use of HELO in the
future. Especially as an early-out for reputation services. But, as Anne
said, for now we should not be you-know-what-ing around, and get Classic SPF
on the way, ASAP.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---