Re: What to include...

2004-10-04 16:58:04

----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] What to include...

In <023a01c4aa61$b9679720$6401a8c0(_at_)hdev1> "Hector Santos"
<winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> writes:

they are optional for the receiver, but mandatory for the
publishing sender to accommodate.

Do you explain this Meng, maybe by showing an example?

I think the point is just that if your MTA says "HELO example.tld",
and you publish an SPF record for example.tld, then it better pass.
The same goes if you do a "HELO mta.example.tld".

Admittedly, DNS "administration" is one of my weak points. :-)

So, and I think the specs says this for directives,  the main or primary or
parent domain (what's the official name for this?) of a client domain name
should not be extracted  for SPF lookups, and instead use exactly what is
provided. Right?

I understand this in itself can be viewed as network administration and
setup issue, but that is part of the problem that you might have be setting
up SPF records for many subdomains pointing to the same machine.  Is this
correct?

So the next question is, what about wildcards lookup?

Based on what I am reading throughout the year, this is not currently a
standard or its not universal in how it works? So you can't rely on it?

Thanks

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.