Re: Bug? Re: Weekly SPF discussion mailinglist stats for 10/04/04

2004-10-04 16:43:26
In <008f01c4a9f8$2b8497f0$6401a8c0(_at_)hdev1> "Hector Santos"
<winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> writes:

I'm curious how this SPF discussion stats are done.

The SPF discussion stats are done with a quick and dirty script that
goes through my SPF-discuss mail folder and summarizes stuff.  It was
originally written for a completely different mailing list (a clock
and watch mailing list).  The fact that it uses my mail folder rather
than some official source can be the source of some inconsistancies in
counts and dates.

                                                     Namely, why is the
wrong address indicated for me in your top poster listing?   I am not using
my personal address (hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com) here. I am using a
support
address (winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com).  Curious on how
you are picking
up the other address. I don't see it in the headers.

Some people post under several different email addresses and my script
combines those email addresses.  I happen to use (effectively) the
same script to monitor this mailing list and the MARID list.  On the
MARID list, you often used your santronics email address, and it is
really the luck of the draw as two which email address I decided to
use.

These stats are not intended to be taken that seriously, they are
mostly just for fun.  If people find it annoying or inappropriate, I
will certainly stop it.

The script was originally written when I noticed I was posting a lot
to the clock/watch mailing list that I mentioned above.  I then
started posting summaries to that list when it was claimed that the
officals from that organization had stopped using the list because
they were hearing things that didn't like.  The summary clearly showed
that many of the officals did post to the list and the claim was just
FUD.  Compared with the watch/clock mailing list, SPF-discuss is low
volume, extremely polite, the arguments are based on very sound logic,
and politics are a non-issue.  Go figure.

-wayne