Re: Re: [SPF Classic] Policy best practices should be kept out

2004-10-07 06:46:16
Tony Finch wrote:

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Frank Ellermann wrote:
what do you think SPF does without a -all ?

You can't use SPF to reject even with a -all, because it'll reject too
much legitimate email.

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/mail-archive/msg00286.html

Tony.
That's like saying you can't reject if reverse DNS is not set up.

Now.... yes... at first you cannot reject. But, given 4 to 6 months, I bet the likes of AOL, Earthlink and so on 'will' begin to reject mail that does not pass SPF... therefore the first projected dates of October 1st to have records in place.. seems we all missed that one since we still don't know for sure what records to have in place.... and January 1st for a 'go live' date... and as time passes along with no standard, I guess we'll be missing that one. (Thanks again Micro$oft!).

So, yes, at first you shouldn't reject on this basis, but, as the big guys make it a must, the rest of us small guys can follow. Then those spammers who are using SPF, will be more easily reported to blacklisting and it will be much easier to run a 'legitimate' blacklist.

The big providers have for the most part all agreed together to put into place Authentication, some sort of SPF and a monitoring system for their users. They are waiting on us for SPF!! I know Earthlink sent out a mail mailing informing all their clients that they would need to turn on smtp auth in their clients. And I bet (hope) the user monitoring systems are going into place to stop these compromised computers. So... where's the SPF already? If we keep screwing around with what it's going to be, that 'group' may fall apart as well and then the liklihood of any 'standard' emerging is less. Nobody would like this more than M$, as they will do all they can to strongarm their system onto everyone else. If AOL, Comcast, Earthlink and Charter (who I've not heard anything from) will agree to SPF, that pretty much decides it.

I believe a standard will emerge and will be used for blocking just as rev DNS is used. How many of you out there got caught by AOL's implimentation of that system. I for one was thrilled when they did it because it caused 'almost' all of the mailservers out there to fix their DNS and I was then able to follow with the same system change and my logs suddenly showed 'lots' of bounced messages due to bad DNS. I'm of the opinion that if you don't run proper DNS, you don't belong on the net and SPF is just another step along the way where we all will need to make our entries and again run proper DNS.

So, am I missing something here? Why can't we reject based on no SPF record? Not at first, but once the bulk of the domains have SPF records.

And yes, I know it will not stop spam, but it will put an end to a lot of spamming methods. I bet 50% or more of the spam comes from compromised computers and the large providers seem to be taking a stance on that. And at least there will be a 'good' way to 'know' who sent the message in terms of a program looking at one string in a header, and allow for accurate blacklisting. Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing?

Meanwhile, as I typed this message, 347,866,539,101 spams were sent, wasting 48,314,797 man hours (5 seconds per spam) and untold processing power in dealing with this problem.