Re: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00.txt (fwd)

2004-10-08 23:17:03

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Connor" <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Cc: "MXCOMP" <ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 1:53 AM
Subject: [spf-discuss] Re: I-D
ACTION:draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00.txt (fwd)

   SMTP servers which are involved in retransmission of the message but
   which do not cause change in the direction of SMTP transmission
   SHOULD use SUBMITTER value they received during incoming SMTP
   transmission as value for outgoing SMTP transmission. If there was
   no SUBMITTER MAIL parameter during incoming transmission, then SMTP
   server MUST NOT use SUBMITTER for outgoing transmission unless it
   can find email address of the entity which last caused introduction
   of a message into the email delivery system by other means.

Keeping the same Submitter at an intermediate hop might result in a Fail.
You might consider relaxing this language a bit to allow for cases where
the message is being passed along at points other than its initial
injection where Submitter is most likely to Pass.

huh?  You mean this wasn't considered in the SUBMITTER proposal?

The statement definition for submitter seems to suggest this:

| The purpose of the SUBMITTER parameter is to allow the SMTP client to
| indicate to the server the address of the entity most recently
| responsible for injecting a message into the e-mail transport stream.

I took "most recent" to mean where there is a transition of responsible
domains.

No?  If not... Oy vey!   There is no choice here.  You must change the
responsible domain at each transition where the previous responsible domain
has changed or the MDA has taken the responsibilty for delivery. If the MDA
is going to further route, relay or whatever, it becauses the responsible
domain.  If this isn't done, then it is broken.

This is yet another reason why the domain is the only thing that is required
for the submitter parameter.  The full address is useless at transition
points.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.