RE: the Seth Hypothetical

2004-10-22 12:14:05
I like the scope idea.  But maybe we would need "and" and "or" operators.
"m and s" - If m fails then fail.  Do not process p.
"m or s"  - If m fails but s passes then pass.
"m or s"  - If m passes then pass.  Do not process P.
"m and s" - If m passes but s fails then fail.

What if m is neutral and s fails? Do we return neutral or fail?
If "m or s" return  neutral.
If "m and s" return fail.

What about this?  Gets real hard!
"m or (s and p)"

What is "p" is not supported by the MTA (license issue)?  Is it just
ignored?  Acts like neutral?

To enforce the order, do we use "and then" and "else if".  Or is the order
just as listed.  By using "and" and "or" the order is not important (I
think).   However the sender may know one or the other would take more DNS
lookup, so having that last may be preferred.

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Commerco WebMaster
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 2:10 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] the Seth Hypothetical

William,

I like this scope idea from a publishers standpoint, as it tends to avoid
the issue of having many different version (v=spfx) records to support
(perhaps even concurrently).

Would it also be worth considering that the order of the sc= might serve as
an order of processing for SPF record processing servers?  That way, if any
one scope processing implementation conflicts over another, the publisher
is able to explicitly state their preference by the order of the intended
behavior for their published records to take place by following the sc=
list order itself.

This could be further broadened to recommend the processing server has
direction as to the final processing result by using the same +/-/~/?
syntax that is followed in "all".  In instances where a conflict may happen
by virtue of the published record, the earlier in the list still takes
precedent, irrespective of the +/-/~/? syntax.  e.g.,

v=spf1 sc=-m,~s,p mx -all  - the record applies for Mail-From, Submit, PRA

but would also mean that the processing order for the above mentioned
scopes would also be m,s,p and that if -m processing does not pass, the
whole transaction result is FAIL, whereas the ~s would not do
this.  (Please forgive me in advance if I have selected an example where a
conflict could not conceivably happen or confused my +/-/~/? syntax - I
think I have them correct, but the above example is for illustration of a
point of operational concept and not a firm syntax definition).

By adopting this method of processing, I think that if conflicts occur
(either today or over time) in the way that a given scope must be
processed, the earlier of the scopes in the list of scopes would indicate
the one(s) the publisher would prefer be used by an SPF processing
server.  In this way, a publisher can choose that one scope is followed
over another while still allowing the SPF processing server to maintain
processing integrity where errors or malicious records may be processed by
a publisher (e.g., an invalid or unsupported scope might be ignored by an
SPF record processing server).

In some respects, the scope concept with the suggested enhancements might
also serve to eliminate most of the political arguments by which this group
seems to have been stymied, because SPF publishers choose which "standard"
or "standards" they wish to follow (market acceptance and choice are good)
by their scope publishing choices.

After all, the whole reason SPF exists is really as a vehicle for the
publishers of SPF records to protect their domain name(s) from identity
theft and other consequential misuse of their networks.  As some have
pointed out, the market should decide which of the several likely choices
that exist today should prevail.  Scope might just be the vehicle to allow
that to naturally happen in time.

Best,

Alan Maitland
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/