Re: purely dual-format approach

2004-10-30 08:01:42
In <20041030060256(_dot_)GT1135(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

OK, let's run a thought experiment so we can think this
through.

Suppose we renegotiate and the agreement is that MS PRA stuff
will not use v=spf1 records for PRA scope checking.  MS will
tell people to publish spf2.0/pra, and the SPF community
will tell people to publish v=spf1.

What will senders do?

This is a good question.

I don't think it is just a "thought experiement" though, and this is
important.

Back when MS was pushing CallerID, they weren't pushing v=spf1
records.  I did a domain survey and I found that more people had
published v=sp1 records in the first three weeks after the SPF spec
freeze as had published CallerID records in the first three months.

A later survey of the same domains found that almost no one published
exclusively CallerID records.

Since the shutdown of MARID, MS has been pushing spf2.0/pra records
rather than v=spf1 records.  The SenderID spec, after all, said you
were only supposed to use spf2.0/pra records.

I am doing another survey as we speak to see how things are going.

So, instead of just doing a "thought experiement", we can test real
live cases.

Now, my gut feeling is that unless AOL stops saying that you should
publish v=spf1 records for their whitelisting, most major players will
publish v=spf1 records.  They may also publish spf2.0/pra records, but
we don't need to care about that.

-wayne