Re: purely dual-format approach

2004-10-30 18:29:08
In <x4wtx81c89(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wayne
<wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

In <20041030060256(_dot_)GT1135(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

OK, let's run a thought experiment so we can think this
through.

Suppose we renegotiate and the agreement is that MS PRA stuff
will not use v=spf1 records for PRA scope checking.  MS will
tell people to publish spf2.0/pra, and the SPF community
will tell people to publish v=spf1.

What will senders do?

Since the shutdown of MARID, MS has been pushing spf2.0/pra records
rather than v=spf1 records.  The SenderID spec, after all, said you
were only supposed to use spf2.0/pra records.

I am doing another survey as we speak to see how things are going.

So, instead of just doing a "thought experiement", we can test real
live cases.

Ok, here are the results of the survey of 1.3 million domains found in
a spammer's list of email addresses.

I did a survey on 2004/09/12, which was right after the last call
finished, the MS Wizard had been updated produce the spf2.0/pra
SenderID records for a while, and SenderID had gotten a reasonable
amount of publicity.  during this time Meng has been promoting *both*
SenderID and SPF-classic.

In the survey of 9/12, I found 23 SenderID records and 14089 v=spf1
records.

Now that a month and a half has passed since then and the survey done
today shows 76 SenderID records and 19760 v=spf1 records.  So, we have
an increase of 53 SenderID records and 5671 SPF records.

It appears to me that SenderID is going the way of CallerID.  It is
isn't taking off.

Sure, Microsoft *could* throw a billion dollars into promoting
SenderID.  We can all imagine what MS could do if they had the will
to.  But, remember, they haven't even shown the will to fix their
Wizard or publish SenderID records for their domains.

I am not going to suggest ignoring MS.  I am suggesting that we
shouldn't run scared of what they could possibly do.  We should look
at the actual pass performance and use that as a guide to what they
will likely do in the short-term future.

-wayne