RE: List of nominations for people to sit on the "S PF Leadership Council"

2004-11-12 08:45:49

[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
jpinkerton

It's probably reasonable to say that there will be a
definitive list and a call to vote by the middle of next
week.  I intend making it a short time for voting - say three
days - unless I hear an outcry.

Acghhhh.... This is not the way to hold elections. The rules for the
election should be defined before nominations are opened.

I suggest that a good way to begin would be to adopt Roberts Rules of Order
as your basic rules of proceedure. They are based on the UK Parliamentary
rules of order and have several centuries of experience behind them. They
have their origin in an age when flame wars tended to degenerate into duels
with swords so they are robust enough for net use.

I would also suggest that you are not going to get the right people
attending unless you have a clearer statement of what the group is going to
do and when and how they are going to meet. Asynchronous messaging is OK as
a collaboration tool, but to get somewhere useful synchronous methods such
as a bi-weekly con-call are going to be more effective.

I would suggest that you consider the OASIS rule that membership of the
group and voting rights are determined by attendence. Apache have developed
something similar.

You also need to decide what the audience is that you are trying to
influence. If you want to influence the corporates then you will have to
have corporates participating. If you want to be open source only that is a
perfectly reasonable thing to do but you will only be able to influence
standards making in other forums, you will not be able to force the
comercial vendors to follow your lead.

What you really need is people who know something about writing
constitutions who are not aligned with particular positions on the spec.