RE: Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-18 17:23:31
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Frank
Ellermann
Sent: vrijdag 19 november 2004 1:00
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation
(EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

Mark wrote:

Technically, it is not even necessary to 'expose' the
envelope-from to the recipient at all.

RfC 3834 strongly disagrees with this. The MAIL FROM aka
Return-Path is the alpha and omega of SMTP.  RfC 3834 asks
all Auto-Responders to ignore mails without Return-Path.

Of course. But with "technically" I meant that the inter-MTA
SMTP dialogue itself, like pretty much everying after DATA,
does not suffer from the recipient being unaware of the
envelope-from. I was not suggesting we leave pertinent
headers out. :)

My point, contrary to the opinion of the OP, was that the
'return-path' (envelope-from) is especially the area of
inter-MTA traffic.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---